Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Visit the Cats town

After landed on the Borneo territory, I quickly got up from my seat and left the aircraft. Gosh! The low-cost carrier has the smallest seat ever! It has been 10 years since I last came to the city of Cats aka Kuching, Sarawak; so I had never known I needed to go to the immigration checks... Well, it's still within Malaysia...?! No..?

16th September 2010, it's Malaysia Day celebrating the merger of East and West Malaysia; but Kuching was covered with cumulonimbus for the whole day. That was a visiting trip to the East, visiting my friend S and family. Sitting inside the car and watching the buildings passing beside me, I think, Kuching is still the same as before.

It was a late night when I arrived and I still had cute little guests welcoming me to the house, Alfie and Alzif; and yeah, finally I met Alfie! It was really a short trip, 3 days and 3 nights; and I didn't plan where to go at all which I just wanted to see the city, the culture, the Raya, and people.

Of course the family would love to bring me explore the city and more, so her dad suggested we should go to the Bako National Park located in North Kuching. Visiting a national park seems like a must when you go to a place like Sarawak, which has thousand years tropical jungle and rare species animals. Plus, S and the family had never been to the this place before! What?! They have been staying there for centuries! Even before the dinosaurs exist!

Waking up in a delightful morning, the whole family was preparing for the adventurous national park. I put my bottle in my back-pack and got ready for the exciting trip! After breakfast, we started the engines on both cars, got out of the city, entering narrow path towards the Bako jetty for the boat.

Sitting on the speed boat, feeling the wind skate over my face, I took out my camera and started taking those excited faces. We saw thousand years of sand stones standing surrounded by sea water, some stone looks like frog/human faces/turtle; which you just have to apply your imagination into it. Moreover, some native believe there are stories behind these different looking sand stones.

After side-seeing the stones on the boat, we arrived the national park; then we found out it is actually a huge jungle and we were supposed to trek in the jungle for 1.6km with Levi's and flip-flop! In fact, we did the jungle trek and reached a beautiful beach on the other side of a hill. It was really tiring yet be worth seeing Proboscis monkeys too!

Besides the national park, I was just staying in the city for the rest of my days there. Had very nice Laksa Sarawak/Mee Jawa Satay/Seafood, the local food and taste are very different from West Malaysia style; and it tastes really nice for me. Kuching is a city where it has all the malls, food, necessities as any city; it is not an Ulu place like you think, so please don't still imagine that the people are living on the trees!

A special mention should be made about S and the family, for 3 days and 3 nights, even though it was not long, the whole family treated me well. Gave me a comfortable 3-night stay, good hospitality, went to Bako together and bought me local moon cake for my family too. They made the trip memorable!

I am so thankful that her family actually wanted me to stay longer, and her dad asked me when I was packing my luggage :"you really want to go back?". And I told him I should leave some of my belonging in the house, so that I will come back again. Eventually, I did leave my belt there which I really forgot about that!

I'm grateful that S and the family were being part of my life, we encountered; then, we continue our own journey of life!
Once again, I would like to thank all of them for everything! =)




No comments: